Tuesday, December 31, 2013

jared leto nude (almost) in mexico

Several years ago, Nancy over at Countdown to Mexico told me about Google Alerts -- a way to discover new blogs about Mexico.

It is a blunt tool.  Like the mind of a twenty-something American, it will produce all types of information with little judgment as to its value. 

In other words, it works like a Google search.  Ask it a term, and it will give you plenty of results without regard to your own concern for relevancy.

As a result, I get a lot of dross in my in-box.  All about Mexico.  But from perspectives I did not know even existed.

Take this little gem.  It is "news" that the American C-list celebrity Jared Leto vacationed in Mexico.  And that he went to the beach.  And that he was shirtless on the beach.

At one point in our culture, we called that voyeurism.  When a photograph like this would show up, we would avert our eyes.  At least, that is what we were taught to do.

But no more.  Now, it is celebrity worship.  It is almost as if a large segment of society is so depressed by their lives, that seem to have absolutely no purpose, they try to find some meaning in looking at the half-naked body of a decidedly mediocre actor.

Of course, my answer to all this drivel is to do what I usually do when it shows up in my email.  I delete it.

But not today.  It is the end of the year, and I have shamelessly snatched Jared Leto's body and written a hopelessly shallow essay for one purpose only -- I am going to end up reeling in lots of hits through Google.  Just like all of those other blogs that mention Mexico.

Happy New Year to all of you.  I promise substance will return tomorrow.

Or, at least, something that can pass as substance.


 

No comments: