Tuesday, June 17, 2014

the resurrection of the flamboyant

OK.  Enough of dented fenders, confusing toilet signs, banking problems, and employment politics.

I am in Mexico, and these little bumps are just that.  Bumps to be driven over on the way to adventure.

Well, adventure my not exactly be what I have in mind today.  But it will certainly be a different experience.

Before I left on my Europe trek, my landlady and I talked about the possibility of putting an axe to the flamboyant tree in my garden.  It was obviously not a happy tree.  Flamboyants do best when they have their own stage.  (I  an empathize.)  This one was crowded by a ficus, a mango, a palm, and a tamarind.  Either they went -- or the flamboyant went.

And it did.  When I returned there was a huge hole in the garden canopy.  A hole large enough that lets me see most of the laguna and a bit of the ocean from the roof terrace.  The timing was not the best.  Our weather has been in the 90s, and the missing shade is missed -- a bit.

When we talked about cutting down the tree, we discussed several options of what should be done with the open space.  Because there was an orchid on the trunk, I suggested leaving a stump about the height of a person.  We could then use it as an orchid garden.

Mind you, that was all a dream based on no research.  But that is the road we took.  The trunk is now adorned with four orchids.

Where we go from here is anyone's guess.  My blogger pal Debi is an orchid fan.  She gave me some good suggestions on he first orchid.  I am certain she will have some additional ideas.

Tonight (I am writing this on Monday afternoon), I will have dinner with a acquaintance from Barra de Navidad who has expertise in orchids and bromeliads.  I will try to get some ideas from her, as well.

And, then, of course, there is the internet.  A brief browse has turned up more information than I will ever find useful.

What I do have, though, is a dream of another spot of beauty in the garden.  Mexico gives me plenty of setting.  I just need to put together a script and then cast the parts.

I am in a stage mood this afternoon.  I was just thinking about how mediocre the entertainment was on my cruise.  I love live entertainment.  It is one reason I enjoy most cruises.  With the exception of an American jazz pianist, Judy Carmichael (a familiar name to fans of NPR), the entertainment was a big disappointment.

Undoubtedly, my desire to build a beauty spot in the garden is one way to deal with that disappointment.

While browsing through Youtube today, I ran across a performance by Karen Ziemba that sums up what old-fashioned stage fun can be.  It is true that the production elements help sell this piece.  But it is what I am looking for when I just want the thrill of a performer showing her chops.

(I will confess I am quite partial to her because she is a dead ringer for an old English flame.  Both in looks and personality.)

Because I have no orchids to share yet, let me share Karen Ziemba with you.  And, if your heart does not swell when she leads that parade down the streets, you may want to check your pulse.
 

I am certain you will have a much better time than I did sitting in the ship's auditorium.



No comments: