Friday, August 03, 2018

can't stop the driving


For those of you who think I might have been lost at sea, you are only partly correct.

I am in San Miguel de Allende.

It is not exactly the same thing.

I arrived here yesterday afternoon. Eight hours of driving. And $1,110 (MX) in tolls. Even though that is about $60 (US), it was worth every centavo. Mexican toll roads are a charm.

Let me tell you how charming.

To get to San Miguel de Allende from Barra de Navidad, I used to be forced to drive through Guadalajara. Either through the central part of the city or on a peripheral road that was just as frustrating. Guadalajara is Mexico's second largest city. Think of driving through central Los Angeles without using the freeways.

That has now changed. You may recall that Darrel, Christy, 
and I took a bypass that circumnavigates the western part of Guadalajara when we visited Tequila in March (the road not taken).

It has a twin that goes east. And I took it on Thursday.

Instead of bumper-to-bumper brake light traffic, I sped along at 90 MPH with hardly another car in sight. The road has no exits. No services. It is just a pavement-to-the metal concrete slab. The pilots amongst us will understand how I felt.

I am not certain how much time it cut off of my trip. But I was far more relaxed when I was finally on the toll road to Leon than I would have been after slaying the Guadalajara traffic dragon.

As pleasant as the bypass is, I have one traveler's note. Make certain you have plenty of fuel before you enter the worm hole. Otherwise, the short cut will cost you hours.

In the full day I have been here in San Miguel de Allende, I have amassed several tales. Including, the reason I am here. The Chamber Music Festival began tonight. But there will be far more. This place is a cornucopia of narratives.

But, for now, I am going to enjoy another pleasant night of sleep in my 69 degree (right now) bedroom. 


See you tomorrow.

No comments: