Friday, July 03, 2020

and then there were none


Some topics are tackled by writers at their peril.

I shot this photograph last night. What attracted me to the shot was the texture of the clouds and how the light successfully drained the color from our full-spectrum sky.

It was also going to be the photograph to accompany an essay about how today was the start of a full-week of predicted thunderstorms. If the weathermen were to be believed, this morning should have sounded like the finale of the third act of Die Walküre.

Apparently, the weather does not read the same apps I do. When I rolled out of my bedroom into the patio, the day was absolutely Disneyesque.* The only things missing were the unicorn ponies and the flute-playing pan-ettes.

But Disney was a far better symbol for this day. Last night, Citalli from the local immigration office called to inform me my replacement permanent resident card had finally arrived. I now feel my arm is complete again -- as Sweeney Todd would (and did) say.

Well, it is after I drove over to San Patricio, displayed my passport, and signed three documents. Project Recovery is now at an end. At least, for those actions I can take in Mexico.

I still have to fly to The States for an appointment in Los Angles and another in Portland or Bend to get my wallet in the same shape it was before I lost it two months ago. With the virus still running its course, I considered not making the trip until later in the year.

But something else has come up that requires my physical presence up north. And time is not going to resolve it. There is only one Alaska flight out of here each week during this time of year. On Saturdays.

As soon as I get some additional information, I will be able to report to you on the status of flying during a viral storm.

But not today. I think I will go ride a flying horse.



* -- I have a certain soft spot in my heart for Fantasia. So, here is a sample. Despite its Disney parentage. After all, the star here is Beethoven.

No comments: