Wednesday, July 01, 2020

canada day without the party


For most Americans, 1 July is three days before the Fourth of July, and half-way through the year -- time to take stock of what we have accomplished during the past six months.

For me, this week is a two-fer holiday. The Fourth of July is on Saturday, of course, but today is a special day, as well. When my DNA yearns to celebrate. Canada Day.

Even though both of my parents' families first came to the New World in 1620 at the Plymouth Colony, the path each branch took to Oregon was quite different. Dad's family made its way to Virginia then to Missouri, and, in the 1840s, took the Oregon Trail to what was then quaintly called The Oregon Country -- a chunk of land claimed by the British, Spanish, Russians, and Americans.

My mother's family took another path. After the Great Unpleasantness of the 1770s, her side of the family moved to Vermont, and, for some reason (my theory is the family backed the wrong horse in the Revolution), Moses Rolfe packed up his brood of eight children in the early 1790s, and once again claimed his loyalty to the Hanoverian King. They lived in Quebec for another three generations of Rolfes. In the 1880s, the Rolfes made another jump. To Minnesota.

My grandfather's family took a Canadian path, with a variation. Peter Munro left Scotland in the early 1800s for a new life on Prince Edward's Island. Another three generations of Munros lived on Prince Edward Island until a later Peter Munro moved his family across an obviously-porous border to Minnesota in the 1880s.

You can do the math there. These two Canadian families joined forces and moved to Oregon in the 1920s, where my father met my mother. And thus I am here telling you this story.

Mine is not the only family with Canadian roots. My Aunt Naomi kept up the tradition by marrying my Canadian-born Uncle Frank.

Usually, I would anticipate attending a Canada Day party this evening at Papa Gallo's in San Patricio. That will not happen because of the virus. So, I will pass my greetings along to my fellow Canadians with today's essay.

Today is a day to celebrate as individuals, to recognize what Canada has accomplished, and to acknowledge that we do not need common blood to be friends.

As I do almost every Canada Day, I will close with what I believe is one of the best arrangements of the Canadian anthem.

Wherever you are, enjoy the day.


   

No comments: