Friday, July 10, 2020

the anti-facebook lives on the streets of barra de navidad


About two weeks ago, I put myself on a Facebook diet.

Prior to the current virus mania, I did not read many entries in Facebook. But, when we went into a modified lockdown here (whenever that was), I spent far too much time on Facebook.

Facebook is like a multi-zoned neighborhood. There are some informational gems. But they are deeply embedded in a lot of dross. For a while, the emotion-based posts about politics and the virus were an interesting voyage into other people's lives.

It stopped being interesting when I realized the posts were actually affecting my mindset. I am, by nature, a positive person. My experience is that everything comes out well in the end.

If I were to believe Facebook, the villages on the bay were just moments away from catastrophe. The economy was in danger. The virus was about to have its way with us.

But that is not what I see when I go out on my walks.

I walked to my doctor today to inform her the medication she gave me has knocked out most of my symptoms. I still have a slight cough. Three days ago, I could not have walked across my patio let alone three miles.

What I saw on my walk was encouraging. The economy here took a hit when the government forced the beach closure. Now that almost all businesses are open, people are feeding their families, and enjoying the freedom that living outdoors here affords.

Remodeling and new construction continued during the partial lockdown. And there are still several projects under way. Like this palapa being erected on top of a home.


It makes me wonder if being on the cusp of hurricane season is the best time to build a palapa.* But, I guess it is going to have to prove its durability at one point. Why not now?

In opening up shop in early May, I praised the Mexican entrepreneurial spirit. In the midst of a government-imposed revenue strangulation for businesses, three small businesses opened up just a block from my house. And they are surviving, if not thriving.

About a month ago, another restaurant opened at the other end of Nueva España, It is a small place. But it catches my eye every time I drive by because of its clever use of color.




With the arrival of Mexican tourists, it appears to be doing a respectable business.

I know very little about the place other than it resides on Nueva España, the main commercial street in my neighborhood.
 For me, its symbolism is important. The owners were willing to risk everything with their new venture -- despite everything. It is the very antithesis of the gloom pervading Facebook. 

Now and then, I take a peek in on Facebook to see if the tone has changed. It has not.

Instead, I will rely on a more positive picture of the villages by the sea by getting out and enjoying life. My Mexican neighbors have the correct perspective on that.


* -- For those of you wondering whatever happened to tropical storm Cristina, she is heading out to sea -- offering us no new rain. But there is another disturbance off the coast of El Salvador trying to make up its mind if it wants to head from cyclonic fame. Or not.


No comments: