Monday, March 18, 2013

at the algonquin round table



Sharing time with my brother is like visiting the writers' room of The Onion.

I realize I am mixing my metaphors.  Yesterday, it was a television sitcom.  Today, it is a satirical newspaper.  But the point is the same.  Conversing with him is an E ride ticket on the Big Punder Mountain Railroad.

Yesterday I referred to "cascading puns."  Here are three examples.  All within one hour.

We were discussing how the current president had grabbed more power for the presidency during his term in office.  Darrel summed it up.  It's just more Barackracy.

My mother then regaled us with a tale of driving down a narrow logging road in our car.  I was probably four; Darrel was two.  We were riding in the back seat, and Darrel claimed I threw one of his shoes out the car window.  Mom responded: "Too bad.  I can't stop on this road."

Darrel's coda for the tale:  "You were being mis-Steveious.

But my favorite was our discussion of what types of new food we would try on our family trip to Mexico next week.  I thought Mom should try menudo by telling her it was a type of soup. 

Darrel's response?  "No.  it's a tripe of soup."

This is going to be a fun trip.


Note -- The photograph at the top of this post has nothing to do with the infamous accusation of the defenestration of the shoe.  But the cast of characters is there.  Only the Mercury is missing.  In its place is the Ford pickup that you met in another tale of near tragedy:  tres desperados.

No comments: