Thursday, April 16, 2020

a mexi-can attitude


This is something you don't see every day.

In fact, I don't think I have ever seen anything like it before. Anywhere.

I had a task to complete on Barra de Navidad's malecon this afternoon. Even during normal times, the place would be almost deserted on a Thursday afternoon after the rush of Semana Santa. So, social distancing would not be a problem.

A couple of sidewalk restaurants were open. And one or two souvenir shops. But that was it it.

Until I got to the entrance of the beach, and encountered another example of Mexican ingenuity.

The owners of one of the restaurants had spread bags of aluminum soft drink cans on the road. While a woman and her daughter swept the cans under the tires of an SUV, the father would drive back and forth over the cans, flattening them. The flattened product was most likely destined for sale at an aluminum  recycler.

I would simply have stomped on the cans. But that is my retail thinking. This was a wholesale operation.

Who says you have to travel to see new things? 

No comments: