Friday, April 24, 2020

getting parole


When I was a criminal defense lawyer, I could always tell when former clients were looking forward to parole. They would start sending me letters larded with requests for jobs, money, or a place to live. Often, all three.

I have learned their lesson of anticipation. I too look forward to the return of liberty. And it is about time to start planning.

Yesterday, Fernando, my regular DHL delivery man brought me my first passport for a return to The Good Place. About three weeks ago, I started searching for places to visit when governments throw open the prison doors to let people return to their lives.

In all of my travels, I have never visited Madrid. I have been to every other major Spanish city, but I have never seen the Spanish capital -- the city that had so much influence on the country where I now live. That means I have never seen the Prado or the Reina Sofia or the Thyssen-Bornemisza collection.

I am about to set that right. I found a four-day Madrid art course that will include art instruction and multiple visits to the three museums. The course is in November, so I am gambling that gamboling will once again be on the agenda in Madrid by then.

It appears I am not the only person to be optimistic about the future. When I started looking at travel options, there were multiple flights from Mexico City to Madrid for which I could use my air miles. The choice has now narrowed to one. If I am going to do this, I need to pull the trigger today.

Even if I do not eventually make the trip, I have found thumbing through the Eyewitness Madrid guide has been therapeutic in itself. The section on the three museums covers only 12 pages, but it has whetted my inclination to book the trip.

I wanted to add one word about the book. Anyone who has visited here very often knows I am a big fan of my Kindle. It is my primary reading tool -- along with my smartphone.

But there are some experiences that require a book in hand. Tour guides fall into that category. As well as cook books. When I am done with this tour guide, it will join the shelves of analog books in my resurrecting library.

When I book this trip, it will be the crack in the dam. Inevitably, I will start filling up my dance card in hopes that I will not be the only attendee at the ball.    

No comments: