Sunday, April 05, 2020

i'm from the government, i need to borrow an hour


If you live in Mexico, there are three things to remember this morning.

Wash your hands. Wear a mask. Advance your clock one hour forward.

It is that time of year again where, for a handful of discredited reasons, Mexico will danzon its way into daylight saving time. Considering the fact that most of us are Hobbitt-holed for the rest of the month, the time switch is just that much more nonsensical. I doubt the usual whinging about "losing" an hour will even breach the surface.

And, to add to the Kafka atmosphere, my first sentence is not even accurate. There are many of you who live in Mexico who will not be doing the temporal hokey-pokey tomorrow or in the Fall. The brilliant political fathers of Quintana Roo and Sonora have decreed standard time means what its name says; it is the standard. No daylight saving time for its lucky citizens.

Sonora because of its commercial connections with Arizona. Quintana Roo because it is -- well, Quintana Roo.


If you live in Canada or The States, you have already made the jump and may be wondering why Mexico is switching later than you. The usual explanation is that Mexico, being closer to the equator, does not get the same benefit from changing earlier. I guess I buy that. The question arises then why the people of Prudhoe Bay ever change.

But those are ques
tions for a more philosophical time. We are now in The Age of Compliance. So, just do it. Someone thinks it is good for you. If you have questions, your name will be taken down.

And like most things that the government takes from you, when it pretends to give it back to you on 25 October, that hour won't be quite the same.

I hope by then I can receive it as a gift at the door without wearing a mask or having to wash my hands. 

Or I could do what I threaten to do each year. If Quintana Roo can stay on standard time, so can I. After all, what am I going to be late for?

No comments: