Saturday, March 22, 2008

the stream of life



On days like today, I wonder why I want to live anywhere other than in the bosom of my little village. It is the Saturday before Easter -- and the day itself was celebratory.

I knew that the cherry blossoms at the state capitol building were starting to come out. When I rolled out of bed at 7:30, I paused only for breakfast. Jiggs and I were off in a hope to beat the crowd. I wanted to get some shots without the usual corps of photographers in the way -- because it was a beautifully clear and sunny day.

Jiggs has been limping on his right front leg and his left rear leg, so, we try to take our walks a bit slower and shorter. Because this was going to be at least a triple walk for him, I took it slow. By the time we got to the capitol, there were plenty of other photographers, but the cherry blossoms were just beginning their show.



Even at these early stages, the trees are impressive. This is one reason our local buses are called Cherriots. (The neighbor girl thinks they are Cheerios.)




Whoever planted the trees had a good eye for proportion. I love the tunnel effect they make over this path.



But the daffodils were not going to let the cherries have all the attention.



I have been trying to learn from John in San Miguel, Juan Calypso, Babs, and Wayne how to take candid shots of people. I getting a little self-conscious about invading people's privacy. But this older couple was obviously having a grand day.



Jiggs quickly got bored with my attention being on my camera, rather than him. Back to home we started. Just as we were walking by his favorite stream, I received a telephone call concerning the house in Mexico that has interested me this last week. While chatting on the telephone, Jiggs managed to limp down the slope to the edge of the stream -- and got in. To the consternation of the ducks. He was wading around until the current caught him, and off he went downstream over a cascade of rocks. He managed to hang on with one paw. (I kid you not. I often suspected he had prehensile capabilities with his paws.) I knew that if he tired out, he would be swept downstream, and with his aged legs, he would not be able to swim. So, into the water I go, thigh-deep to rescue a dog with a couple of centuries of breeding as a water dog.


I carried him out, and put him on shore. I was afraid he might suffer some form of shock because he was really wobbly on his feet. But he tottered right over to a clump of grass and began eating -- as if nothing had happened. If I could only live in the moment like Jiggs.



Being the blogger I am, I realized that story was done. I raised my camera and took the following picture. It was just another reminder that no matter how bad a moment may be, it is a blessing to enjoy the sun and the company of my dog.


7 comments:

Cory said...

Jiggs has provided you with enough stories to write a book.

Nice pictures.

Steve Cotton said...

Indeed he has. I think he keeps living because he steals a year from me with every one of his adventures.

Brenda Maas said...

Glad Jiggs is OK after his adventure.

Steve Cotton said...

Thanks, Brenda. For a dog of his age and health, he manages to get himself into some memorable situations.

Anonymous said...

we met in Vegas.
And what a gorgeous Oregon spring day we had yesterday. Unfortunately that is not the case here today in Milwaukie.
In my neighborhood there are tons of Dogwoods in bloom. Do you remember that Milwaukie is called the Dogwood City? I wish that I had taken some photos of the Dogwoods yesterday when the sky was blue and the sun was shining.
Poor Jiggs. I am glad to hear he survived without any trauma.

Babs said...

Love Jiggs - how old is he? I SO miss my old dog Flash.......16 years, a longer relationship then most men..........ha! I'm so glad you were able to rescue him - too bad someone with a camera didn't get a photo of that!

Steve Cotton said...

Jackie -- The dogwoods in Milwaukie must look great -- even in today's rain. I remember when we would go look at the "world's largest dogwood" -- on Harris, I think. Of course, after the Columbus Day storm it was "the tree formerly known as the world's largest dogwood."

Babs -- Jiggs is now 12. He is huge for a golden retriever. I thought he would be lucky to make it to 10. He is a great guy -- and always willing to drag me into his moments of danger.