Friday, March 21, 2008

before there was a before



I accidentally ran across a great resource on the house I am currently considering in Barra de Navidad. The realtor showed me two houses that had been designed by a local architect: Alejandro Lazareno. I googled his name to see if he had designed other houses. He had.


But the most interesting find on that search list was this blog. It shows a week by week progress of the house being built two years ago. Where but on the internet could you find such a resource?


It is a huge blog -- with lots of interesting commentary and even more interesting photographs. It gives me a good idea where lines are buried under the concrete, but it also assures me that the house is very well built.


Comparing the photographs, it is hard to believe that it is the same house. For example, remember those colorful stairs? Here they are in their unfinished glory.




The picture at the top is of the lot before any work began. Compare it with the first picture in yesterday's posting. They are taken from about the same point.


Alee' asked for some additional pictures. So, for her, here is the dining area.




And the entry walk -- just inside the gate. Note the curved overhang. That is an Alejandro trademark.





And, once again, the beloved pool -- this time from the upstairs terrace.




As you can tell, my ardor has not yet cooled.

6 comments:

Jonna said...

First off Steve, my or anyone else's ideas about the tax law is not going to be valid everywhere or forever. Here's what I think I know.

If you have an FM3 with the address of your Mexican residence and you have had it for at least 2 years, then when you sell you can claim the exemption from capitol gains.

It is more the Notario who decides whether you are eligible or not. His decision is almost always accepted by Hacienda.

The Notario is the most important link in the purchase or sale of property. Get some recommendations, don't accept the real estate person's without checking. Don't use the Notario suggested by the seller without a lot of other recommendations.

Remember that the Notario represents Hacienda and the govt and his honesty and his word are what you are depending on.

There are a lot of other expats living in Barra and Melaque, start asking for recommendations for a Notario and for a lawyer to research the title and advise you separately from the seller. Think of the Notario as the guy in the middle, he doesn't represent either of you.

I don't think it matters whether you have an FM3 at the time of purchase, what matters is what you have and how long you've had it at the time of sale.

The bank holding the fideicomiso is important as well. Some banks, with affiliations to US banks will report all transactions to the US IRS. Just so you are aware of that.

Steve Cotton said...

Thanks, Jonna. Measuring how the house was held during the prior two years makes more sense to me than determing "residency" at the time of purchase. This helps. But I also thank you for reminding me about the Notario role. I have been participating on a message board in Barra, and know some people through that process.

Right now, this is just one option. I still have not given up on the idea of buying a colonial-style home near Morelia and restoring it. You and Mimi have been an inspiration.

Babs said...

zowee, if you buy this you'll have so much company, you'll NEVER be lonely!

Steve Cotton said...

I may have to purchase an online reservation program. People who have been asking me WHY I want to move to Mexico are now asking WHEN I am leaving -- so they can come visit.

Anonymous said...

Steve,

Have you seen this Mexican real estate site? http://www.metroscubicos.com.mx/

It's a good way to browse property around the country. I think it's run by El Financiero, but I'm not sure. Also, I haven't looked at the English section, but reading real estate ads in Spanish is a good way to practice.

Regards,

Kim G
Boston, MA

Steve Cotton said...

Kim --

I have not yet seen that site. But it looks great. And I will try my spanish. The last time I did that, though, I thought the house have 2 1/2 bandanas.