Monday, April 06, 2009

spring in my step


Tap. Tap. Tappity. Tap. I heard the distinct sound of rain hitting a corrugated roof.


This is Oregon, after all. But I was sitting in my back yard reading a book under a clear blue sky. Odd.


Then , I looked behind me and saw two fox squirrels bent on a bit of romance racing like whirling dervishes up, down, and around the trunk of my spruce tree.


Spring has finally arrived with temperatures in the high 60s. It is probably not a good sign that I liked the temperature boost, but I thought it was too hot -- as did the good Professor.


But it is time for new beginnings. And everywhere around me on Sunday there were symbols galore that I should look forward to the trip south.


The daffodils just outside my library are in full bloom. Cherries, plums, and apples are blossoming -- with nary a bee to speed them on their appointed rounds. Even the Mallard pair in the park were oblivious to the danger of my dog as they shamelessly courted in public.


And the symbols swere just as true at Sunday school and Church yesterday morning. My class gave me a very nice send-off. I have enjoyed being their teacher over the past few years.


Not only was it my last class appearance, it was my last drama appearance at church. Fortunately, my cold dissipated enough to let me do my little monologue without croaking out my lines. The congregation then gave me some very nice gifts -- and I had an opportunity for another farewell address.


I am beginning to think That I get to do more farewell tours than Barbra herself.


Monday and Tuesday should be days devoted solely to cleaning up closets in the house. I am taking my truck in for some expensive maintenance. It is now 8 years old. Eventually, I am going to need to replace it. Perhaps, in Mexico.


But the days are ticking past very fast now. The 15th is approaching faster than a politician on his way to a fundraiser.


Somebody else is going to have to take care of the baby squirrels this year. Because I will be in Mexico.

9 comments:

Islagringo said...

Just a little FYI about the truck. You can sell any age vehicle here to a fellow non-citizen of Mexico (gringo). Your truck must be at least 10 years old before you can sell it to a resident (Mexican). So you better be sure your truck can last at least 2 years on the ocean!

Steve Cotton said...

I think I should be able to eke two more years out of the SUV. Of course, the Ford salesmen are going to descend on me when I take the truck in this morning.

Calypso said...

You can get excellent and way more inexpensive vehicle work done in Mexico.

If your ride will make it down there - I would buy the parts in the States and have the work done in Mexico.

Just my frugal side showing ("side" - not I am all about being frugal these days ;-)

Mike Nickell and Cynthia Johnson said...

"Of course, the Ford salesmen are going to descend on me when I take the truck in this morning."

HAHAHA...give us a call this afternoon so we can come over to see your new ride!

Mike Nickell and Cynthia Johnson said...

p.s. If you hurry they may be able to fit your new truck with a ramp for Prof. Jiggs!

Babs said...

Don't think of your SUV as 8 years old - think of it terms of miles. My SUV, Pathfinder is 11 years old but "only" has 130,000 miles on it. So, I hope it lasts another 100,000. I would hate to have to break in a new one and have to add new gashes and dents!
I agree with Calypso, maintenance and repair work is so inexpensive down here (like my guy never charges me more then 400 peos) and I just bring the parts from USA. And, you won't use your car much once you get here! ALL good news.

But Lordy Steve, if you think 60 is too warm, you are going to faint when you get to Melaque!!!

It was 91 here yesterday and I'm at 6400 ft elevation!

Anonymous said...

Hello Steve, hope you are feeling better. I can hear that spring in your step all the way from Seattle.

I am a firm believer in driving the vehicle til she stops dead in her tracks. As the price of new vehicle is surely going to be lower in the next few years(given the economy). Just my 2 cents.

Have lots of fun with the closets(not).

Kind regards, Corrinne

GlorV1 said...

Wow, already relaxing in your yard and reading a book. Ah retirement. And I bet Mr. Jiggs was right at your feet stretched out too. Take care.

Steve Cotton said...

Calypso -- I probably could have waited. I have oil leaks and accelerator linkage issues. But I feel a bit safer taking care of them before I start the trip. You are correct about price, though. I am anticipating a $3K bill.

Cynthia -- I escaped out the back door before the salesmen caught my scent. And after I pay the repair bill tomorrow, I will not have enough left for a payment on a new (or used) Escape.

PS Jiggs hates ramps. Won't use them. Bruises his dignity being treated like a steer on its way to auction. Where did he develop that prideful attitude?

Babs -- As far as miles go, it is rather new: only 55K. But they have been hard-driven city miles. Thus the damage. In this case, the years matter more than the mileage.

Corrine -- And you missed the best argument: I own this vehicle. I do not need any payments at this stage of retirement.

Gloria -- Yes. I am relaxing when I should be sorting. I have the discipline of an 8 year old. But you already know that.