Sunday, October 11, 2020

choice shots


This morning I woke up in Los Angeles.

That is fortunate, because it is where I went to bed last night.

Even though my flights to Oregon the last few months have become routine, they are a pleasant diversion. I know the flight route well between Oregon and Manzanillo. Or, at least, I thought I did.

I usually sit in the same seat on the Manzanillo-Los Angeles flight. An aisle seat. So, I miss whatever passes by outside the aircraft.

In the era of The Virus, Alaska leaves both seats open, so I can use either or both. This trip, I spent a little more time looking out the window to share some sights with you.

It all started in the Manzanillo airport with this sign. I must have walked past it several times on trips this year. This was the first time I actually read it.


I am not certain if this is a Mexican political statement on international relations or just an out-dated poster, but "If you were in China, watch your health for up to two weeks after leaving that country" strikes me as a bit ironic in a country whose infection and death rate dwarfs that of China.

Rather than keep my nose in a magazine or book on the flight, I actually enjoyed watching the world pass by. Seeing the world from 30,000 feet above ground gives a traveler a different perspective on the world we inhabit.

The stark beauty where the northern Mexican desert meets the sea is a fascinating contrast of shapes and topography. I am not certain where this little piece of Mexico is located, but my friend Ed could have created a great painting from its inspiration.


Or this peninsula.


Based on its shape, I suspect the city is Guaymas. I have not been there since I had dinner with two fellow bloggers on my move to Mexico. Twelve years ago.

But all of the sights were not out the window. Late Friday night I whipped up my variation of a tortilla española -- using some of the ham I had purchased at Sam's Club. It was a hit. I left most of it behind for Omar, but I packed a piece (along with some salad items) for a late lunch on the airplane.


It tasted every bit as good as it looked.

But, before long, a sight not so enticing appeared. I have always been interested in the shapes that the Los Angeles grid pattern makes. However, it would be a stretch too far to call it a pretty city.


I am not certain how it happened, but I will be in Los Angeles for a few more hours than usual. On my past flights, I have flown out early. 6 or 7 in the morning.

Not this trip. My flight does not leave until after 5 in the afternoon.

When I finish our morning chat, I am going to go for a walk to purchase data for my American mobile. That should get me back to the hotel for a noon checkout, a quick trip to the airport, and three or four hours in the Alaska Boardroom.

Somewhere along the line I should find something interesting to shoot for you.

No comments: