Monday, October 12, 2020

things for which we are thankful


Happy Thanksgiving.

My century of Canadian blood keeps me from adding "Canadian" in that sentence. After all, no one would be so rude as to refer to "American" Thanksgiving.

Thanksgiving is just Thanksgiving -- a day to celebrate the things for which we are thankful.

For almost a decade, I have celebrated this day (the joint days of Thanksgiving and Columbus Day) in Melaque. Traditionally, on the beach at Papa Gallo's. But the current virus has put paid to gathering for dinner in Melaque.

There is also the additional fact that I am in Prineville sitting at my brother's dining room table chatting with you. And we will be celebrating neither Thanksgiving nor Columbus on this day -- because we just don't.

This is the point where an essayist would usually list the things for which he is thankful. The first being that I do not have to face the dilemma of a plate of turkey in front of me.

But these lists are always so individual that I will let you build your own. And I am certain that everything for which you are thankful will be filled with grace.

Undoubtedly, you will be far more thankful than the young cane toad who decided my garage door was a great place to nap.

It has been that type of year.

That is why I am saying it twice, Happy Thanksgiving.
   

No comments: