Saturday, October 17, 2020

stumbling back to "normal"


Welcome to your flights to Mexico update.

Just a month ago, I connected through Los Angeles airport on one of my recurring trips to Oregon (one is the loneliest number). Because of the virus, the place was almost deserted.

I was the only person in line to check-in. I was the only person in any of the security lines. I was the only person in Alaska's lounge. All but one food venue was closed. And there were only a handful of passengers waiting to fly into the smoke of the western forest fires.

I am writing to you from the Los Angeles airport. In just one month, things have greatly changed. There are long lines to check in, plenty of people in the security lines, the Board Room is half full, all of the take-out food restaurants are open, and the flights are fully-booked (with center seats left open).

Flying is certainly not what it was before the virus came to take up residence with us. But people are adjusting to what is rather-annoyingly called "the new normal."

Most people wear their masks religiously. Meaning they have good intentions, but their consistency is a bit dodgy.

The increase in people in this terminal (especially, children, lots of them, almost all unmasked) is due to Alaska laying on three or four new flights to Mexico today. (Nothing new to Manzanillo.)  So, I assume the bands of families are heading off to such exotic spots as Cabo San Lucas -- or South San Diego, as I call it.

And it is a mixed blessing. It means that people are starting to feel more comfortable venturing forth with their young children. Psychologically, that may be what we need to do to start living with a virus that does not appear to be going away.

But all of that has to be weighed against the resurgent cases in Europe and The States (and reportedly in Mexico though the officially-reported numbers would indicate otherwise).

Based solely on my own risk tolerance, I am willing to fly. In fact, I would like to start traveling further afield as the world continues to open its borders.

For now, though, I will have to be satisfied with only one more entry on my dance card. Late next month, I will fly north for Thanksgiving with my family and to tie up some loose ends for Mom.

Bit by bit we are all going to find our way in a world that is constantly changing. But it always has been. 




No comments: