Monday, April 01, 2013

rosary beyond the grave

I was having breakfast with my brother and mother this weekend at Rooster's -- one of my favorite hangouts.

My brother, looking over my left shoulder, started laughing.  I turned around to see a commercial that combined all of the elements of this season.  Semana santa.  Mexico.  John Paul II.

It is hard to describe the affection that Mexicans afford to the late pope.   As far as they are concerned, he was their pope.  And adoration for him approaches -- if not exceeds -- that given to Our Lady of Guadalupe.


If you have been to the cathedral in Mexico City, you have undoubtedly noticed a very kitschy statute of John Paul II.  If you look carefully, you will discover the image of Our Lady of Guadalupe in the folds of his robe.



What Darrel was chuckling about was a digital rosary.  And not just any digital rosary.  John Paul II's digital rosary.  El Rosario electrónico de Juan Pablo II.

The instructions are simple.  Merely select the day of the week, and John Paul's voice will pray the rosary with you.




Of course, the device is not that different from the electronic Bible library on my laptop and telephone that allows me to read through the Bible each year.  It is merely a new way to indulge in tradition.

After all, some people follow along in the Bible with Charlton Heston's voice on DVD.

And who am I to pit the voice of Hollywood's God against the voice of the departed Bishop of Rome?

We find our faith down many paths.  Paths that help us show our love for God and for one another.


No comments: