Thursday, August 06, 2015

fruitless in barra


I know the following sentence may get me kicked out of Mexico, but it is true.  I am not very fond of fruit.  Especially, tropical fruit.

When someone else prepares fruit, I will eat it.  Sometimes.  But it is a rare day when I will buy fruit at the market.

About a year ago, my doctor informed me I needed to watch my diet because of my high triglycerides.  I laughed when she said I needed to restrict my daily fruit intake to one cup a day.  That would be one cup more than I eat each day. 

The fruit advice was easy to obey.  What she said about pasta is a bit more hazy.

Even though I am not very fond of fruit, I am always ready to eat something new.  Odd shapes or appearances get extra points.

Last week my friend Gary gave me something that looked either like a scrub for the shower or a new German munition.  He asked if I knew what it was.  I didn't even hazard a guess.

It is a nona.  Also known as a sugar apple or a custard apple or, to some folks, a pawpaw (even though that name, to me, is an entirely different fruit found in the midwestern and southern states of the USA).

When I shot the fruit Gary gave me it was still as hard as a ball used in Mesoamerican sports.  And I had no idea when it would be ripe.

But that is where our friend the internet came to the rescue.  I was supposed to leave it on my kitchen counter for a couple of days until it was slightly soft.  Then, into the refrigerator it was to go -- to stop the ripening process.

Yesterday I took it out to give you loyal readers a taste of the nona -- or, at least, a photograph.  When I grabbed it, it collapsed in my hand.  Exposing a not-too-tasty brown ooze.

The internet promised that the inner flesh would have a sweet taste like custard.  I could not imagine the taste of what I held in my hand.  Rather, I had to imagine because I dumped the mess into the garbage pail.

Gary has promised me another.  Maybe I will have more luck next time.

But I am betting that some of you have tasted one of these carbuncley chartreuse beauties.  How do they taste?  Any serving suggestions?

  

No comments: