Saturday, December 06, 2008

meals to go before I sleep


My family is still here as I write this brief entry for today.


My brother, his wife, and their daughter arrived yesterday afternoon and helped me clean up the house. My vacuum cleaner had died just before they arrived. And, if you have ever lived in a house with a dog, that is the equivalent of losing your rudder in the middle of a storm. But, troupers that they are, my family came to the rescue with brooms and mops. As a group, they were far better than Merry Maids.


This morning, we made the tactical error of trying out a new recipe for tortilla española for breakfast. Hint number 1: Never try out new eats on the morning of a major dinner. The tortilla turned out great, but we ended up losing about two hours of serious cooking time.


The menu turned out to be a success. I dropped the creamed onions because we had enough food already. And everything came out of the kitchen right on time. Compliments were universal.


But here is hint number 2: when having family over for the holidays, consider doing something other than a grand meal. After plowing our way through the piles of meat, starch, and carbohydrates, there was no time to sit and chat while opening our presents.


If I had the whole thing to do over, I would allow my American utilitarian gene to have full sway: pizza would have been just about right while we spent the time chatting, opening gifts, and playing games.


For now, I am off to walk the dog. When I return, Balderdash will beckon.

7 comments:

GlorV1 said...

It sounds like it really went well despite a few little things. Family matters and that is what is important. Have a nice walk. Hi Mr. Jiggs.

1st Mate said...

I think one reason people make such a big deal out of food preparation for large family gatherings is that it creates a focus for what might otherwise be an uncomfortable time. Booze is used the same way. Give me takeout Chinese any day.

Anonymous said...

i'm all for pizza! i want it when i can't have it, like now that i am trying to lose a few pounds before going to miami. i'll gain them right back eating all that delicious cuban food and pastries.

teresa

Steve Cotton said...

Gloria -- It was a great time. And it continues. We are playing a new game: The Last Word. I should have an update on Jiggs this next week,

Babs said...

LOVE the title of the blog!!! So clever....as always.

Steve Cotton said...

Babs -- I could have guessed that you would immediately appreciate the deriviative title. I hope your trip is going well.

Steve Cotton said...

Bliss -- If I could get away with fast food, I would. We ate far too much.

Teresa -- Enjoy your Miami trip. I can taste the Cuban food from here.