Wednesday, December 31, 2008

paradise recalled


I am feeling a bit off today. Just a head cold, I suspect. But enough that I am not up to drafting a long commentary.


Instead, I thought I would share with you one of those exquisite moments that seem to occur spontaneously in Mexico.


While walking through a poorer neighborhood in Melaque, I chanced upon a cul-de-sac that could only be described as eccentrically charming. It had a fountain. A few aging buildings. And a cluster of these flowers. The orange against the lime wall caused me to pause. And to savor.


As I sit here chilled, that moment is passed. Even though the fountain and the buildings await someone else's moment.


Oh, if life were made of moments,
Even now and then a bad one-!
But, if life were only moments,
Then you'd never know you had one.

5 comments:

Calypso said...

sorry your under the weather amigo - lots of folks infirma here in the Hood - change of weather and all that I suppose.

Saludos,
John

Islagringo said...

I know exactly what you are talking about. There are so many of those Oooh, Aaaah moments here. Like seeing the poorest of houses completely covered with beautiful, bright, blooming bouganvillia. Such a contrast.

Steve Cotton said...

John -- I gthink it is one of those bugs that just takes time and rest to go away.

Wayne -- And Mexico seems to have them at every corner. I suspect there are as many up this way, but they are too familiar.

GlorV1 said...

I hope you feel better soon Steve. Perhaps you were wishing that the cul-de-sac that captured you heart for a moment, could be the one you would want to live in. At least you can say, you had that moment. Happy New Year's Steve and I wish you happiness, health, and maybe just a little wealth. Take care.

Steve Cotton said...

Gloria -- Thanks. I would settle for just a simple day in Mexico at the moment. I hope you have a blessed new year.