Monday, December 15, 2008

through a snow, darkly


What an odd weekend!


Just as I was getting ready to head to an after-work social gathering (partly in my honor), my boss arrived at my door to inform me that we needed to get a contract put together to be executed Monday morning. It was a bit disappointing to miss the gathering, but I get paid good money for producing this type of work.


A colleague and I worked on the project on Saturday and Sunday afternoon (after church). I also managed to miss the Christmas concert of the local concert band. I could afford to miss another version of the Little Drummer Boy.


And then it snowed. Not a lot of snow. Maybe four inches. By Dakota standards, it is nothing. By Willamette Valley standards, it is a blizzard. And it has brought everything to a standstill.


Of course, that means that no one will be available to execute the contract on Monday. But, at least, it will be done.


What I have missed most of all, though, is staying in contact with my blog contacts. I just spent an hour catching up. Now, I am off to bed.


Whether I will even be able to walk the mile to work tomorrow will be something I will find out then.


No snow in Melaque.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Enjoy the snow. I missed the timing a bit. Snow came on Thursday here, and by Saturday temps were in the 60s and 70s! At least I am not feeling cold.

1st Mate said...

All that is just going to make Mexico look better when you get here.

Anonymous said...

i bet mr. jiggs had fun playing in the white stuff. we have a 2 hour late start at school today because of the ice on the roads. wish they'd just call it a snow day. it's 20 deg. out. i'll have to drive very carefully. as luck would have it today i am working at the 2nd. farthest school. i have 3 within a few minutes walk. please say a little prayer for my safety. i had a dream yesterday morning that i ended up in a ditch. but even in my dream i had faith. twice i said, Lord take care of me, as i was spinning out, and when the van stopped i was fine.

have a good day-stay warm!

teresa

aighmeigh said...

the snow is beautiful, especially from the nice, warm indoors... but put me out into the frigid winter wind and i am instantly yearning for the tropics!! :D

Steve Cotton said...

Laurie -- I walked to work this morning. The sky had cleared, and I took some great photographs with the help of the snow-reflected light. It was a refreshing walk.

1st Mate -- Snow fascinates me for about a day. Sun I can talk all week long.

Teresa -- Jiggs reverted to puppydom in the snow. I had trouble getting to come back inside. Because of the ice, I decided to walk to work. It was a good decision.


Aighmeigh -- By the time I walked to work, my hands felt like snowballs. I forgot to wear gloves.

Islagringo said...

I wish I could sorry for you. I truly do. I remember sub-zero temps on the farm and having to lash a rope to ourselves to get safely to the barn and back to feed the animals in the blizzard. You don't have it bad. Last night I had to use a blanket on the bed again because it had dipped down to the low 70's! Just don't fall!

Islagringo said...

I wish I could sorry for you. I truly do. I remember sub-zero temps on the farm and having to lash a rope to ourselves to get safely to the barn and back to feed the animals in the blizzard. You don't have it bad. Last night I had to use a blanket on the bed again because it had dipped down to the low 70's! Just don't fall!

Steve Cotton said...

OK. OK. Maybe I was just a tad too dramatic. It turns out that almost everybody made it to work today -- and no one was cooked up into a nice ragu a la Danner Party.

Nancy said...

I talked to our son Phil in Bellingham, WA tonight, and it was 19 degrees and more snow expected. It makes it even harder for him to take when he knows I'm sitting here in Mazatlan in shorts!

Most people can just take time to enjoy the white stuff but his business involves deliveries and it makes it just a huge pain in the neck.

I guess he just needs to work hard so he can retire one day to Mexico, too.

Steve Cotton said...

Nancy -- Most of the "snow" here turned into ice within hours of falling. I assume the same is true in Washington. But it is a great incentive to seek retirement as early as possible.