Wednesday, December 10, 2008

one heart at a time


Wayne just checked in with me to make certain all is well. He was concerned because I have not posted during the past two days. I have been busy with my volunteer work with the Salvation Army.


My term as chair of the local Advisory Board expires in April. That is one reason I chose a retirement date of 1 April for my move to Mexico. I promised the local officers that I would stay through the end of my term.


And I have stuffed enough activities into my schedule to start another term. On Monday, I spent a good portion of the day gathering contributions for the staff who work in our shelter and family services. Their pay is almost minimum wage, but they work with all of their hearts helping people who have less than they do. The board decided to collect as much in contributions as a Christmas gift for each of them.


Today, I began the day with a dedication ceremony at a new Salvation Army building project in town. Next, we had our appreciation luncheon for the board and the staff members. I then topped off the day with 3 hours of bell ringing for contributions.


I pass this along for only one point: my volunteer work keeps me busy, but there is always much to be done. And, as Wayne has shown with his knitting project, there is still much more to do.


So, Wayne, I am fine. Just busy. The blog will wait for me later in the week.

8 comments:

Islaholic Trixie said...

Keep on ringing Steve!!

Islagringo said...

Glad to hear all is fine and that you are keeping busy. We can all wait to hear about your latest shenanigans. Ah, Mr Quote, who sang this: you gotta ring them bells, you gotta make them sing.

Calypso said...

I have always wanted to be a Chair - the best I been able to be is a thin legged coffee table ;-(


Bring your bells to Mexico - you can run with the toros and barachos!

Ring-a-ding, ding Steve-a-rino!

Steve Cotton said...

Brenda -- I will keep that little clapper swining until Christmas. People are still being very generous at the kettle. I suspect they know that the need is going to be large this year.

Wayne -- Wasn't that a Liza Minelli song? I seem to recall it was in one of her specials in the 70s. I guess that does age me.

John -- Funny. I always wanted to be a couch. It rather sums up my personality these days. The only toros I intend to run with is one that has been turned into a nice minced meat sandwich.

GlorV1 said...

Your a good man Charlie Brown.

Steve Cotton said...

Gloria -- Thanks. I almost took Jiggs last night, but he would have been bored.

Islagringo said...

Damn! Is there anybody that can stump you!!! Yes, it was Liza with a Z.

Steve Cotton said...

Wayne -- But I have trouble remembering where I live.