Tuesday, December 30, 2008

mystery solved


Last month in name the mystery tree and my so-called saturday , I posted pictures of a tree on the route Jiggs and I traverse through the Archives Park. Even though several people had seen similar trees, none of us knew its origin or its name.


I finally decided to follow up on as clue that my cousin's son,
Cory, provided to me. I wrote to Jill Martini, the Horticulture Manager of the Oregon Garden. She solved the mystery. Here is her response:

From your description it sounds like you are talking about a Clerodendrum trichotomum, common name: Harlequin Glorybower Tree or Peanut Butter Bush referring to its fragrance.


Thank you for your inquiry. Please come visit the garden soon.


Now there is a moniker. Harlequin Glorybower Tree -- and well-suited to the colorful fruit it produces. As for, Peanut Butter Bush -- sounds a bit programmatic to me.


The US Forest Service has an in interesting
fact sheet on the tree. What you will not learn is that the tree is originally from eastern Asia -- principally, Japan. But it also appears that it would grow as a specimen tree in Mexico.


Special thanks to Cory and Ms. Martini for putting this 2008 mystery to rest. Like Miss Marple, we can all go home now, put up our feet, and have a nice cuppa.

4 comments:

Nola Kim said...

How ironic that it could grow in Mexico as well! Perhaps you could grow one when you're all settled - it would kinda be like a piece of your old home.

I wonder if it would grow in NOLA...

Steve Cotton said...

Cairelle -- Looking at the Forest Service map, I suspect the tree would thrive in New Orleans.

Unknown said...

ANYTHING grows in NOLA, my dear Carielle. And quickly. Leave your house unattended for a week in August, and bam! it can disappear in the vines and brush. As far as the name, I adore anything with peanut butter. Peanut butter and bananas, peanut butter and jam, etc. Peanut butter and . . . weird plants makes a perfect combination.

Steve Cotton said...

Laurie -- I have never noticed a peanut butter smell from the plant. It is the jasmine-scented blooms that catch my attention every summer.