OK, class. Everyone quiet down. Our lesson today is: There are two types of people. People who God put here to do some things, and other people He put here to do other things. Life is all about figuring out which group you are in.
For example you may not be an expert in repairing hot tubs when:
- You diagnose the problem as a faulty heating element -- without doing any diagnostics.
- You go to the hot tub dealer and ask for a heating element, and you are not really certain whether your hot tub electrical power is 110 or 220.
- While at the dealer, the manager asks: "Are you certain it's the heating element?", and you reply: "It couldn't be anything else." (This falls into the subcategory of not asking for directions.)
- You open the access door on the hot tub, and you may as well be looking at the hyperdrive for the Millennial Falcon.
- You start unscrewing parts with no regard for what they hold together.
- As you remove the first screw holding the element inside the water heater, water starts gushing out -- all over the electrical equipment.
- You finally get everything screwed back together, and have two pesky copper wires that look as if they may be grounding wires, but you are not really certain what they ground -- or where.
- You start replacing the water that escaped through the heater, and, while on the telephone, allow the tub to overflow -- filling the equipment compartment with water.
- A little mop up, and you are ready for the moment of truth. You plug in the hot tub, and everything appears to be working perfectly.
- With one small exception: no hot water is going into the hot tub -- or anywhere else for that matter.
- Believing that an inanimate object has somehow developed a free will, you decide to wait for it to decide to work.
- Three hours later, iceberg warnings are still being posted in the hot tub.
So, what we do we learn from this lesson?
God gave some people jobs where they can earn money to hire very gifted people to come fix things. I am a member of the first group, and when I try to be a member of the second group, I always get to pay people in the second group twice as much money to fix my mistakes.
What is the connection with Mexico? I have been really impressed with the skills that a lot of my fellow bloggers in Mexico possess. They all seem to be very handy at fixing things. Maybe I need to move next door to one of them.